Lake Como

Note: V. Pliniana

October, 1997

In April 1818 the Shelleys stayed at the Villa Pliniana on Lake Como, "so called from a fountain which ebbs & flows every three hours described by the younger Pliny which is in the courtyard," as Shelley wrote to Thomas Love Peacock. "This house which was once a magnificent palace, & is now half in ruins, we are endeavouring to procure. It is built upon terraces raised from the bottom of the lake, together with its garden at the foot of a semicircular precipice overshadowed by profound forests of chestnut."


Subscribe to RSS - Lake Como