Intended to help Romanticists keep informed about recent publications in the field, this resource offers the Tables of Contents to recent editions of selected Romantics journals, and offers an annual listing of books that...
I list here works discussing 'The Mortal Immortal', as well as the ones I refer to in my notes. For a more general bibliography on Mary Shelley, see Steven Jones' bibliography for his electronic edition of The Last Man.
- Booth, Bradford Allen (ed.) A Cabinet of Gems: Short Stories from the English Annuals . Berkeley: University of California press, 1938. [The introduction discusses the readership of gift-books].
- Byron, Lord (George Gordon). The Complete Poetical Works. Ed. Jerome J. McGann. 7 vols. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1980-93.
- Garnett, Richard, ed. Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley: Tales and Stories. The Treasure House of Tales by Great Authors. London: William Paterson & Co., 1891. [Contains an introduction to Tales and Stories].
- Charles Gibbon, ed. The Casquet of Literature: being a Selection of Prose and Poetry from the Works of the Most Admired Authors, 4 vols. London: Blackie & Son, Limited, 1873. [Includes a biographical note before 'The Mortal Immortal'].
- Hofkosh, Sonia. "Disfiguring Economies: Mary Shelley's Short Stories." The Other Mary Shelley: Beyond Frankenstein . Ed. Audrey A. Fisch, Anne K. Mellor, and Esther H. Schor. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1993. [Discusses notions of class and beauty in Shelley's short stories - Comments upon the engraving of Bertha].
- Hopkins, Lisa. 'Memory at the End of History: Mary Shelley's The Last Man.' Romanticism On the Net 6 (1997): n. p. [Briefly discusses the notion of history in 'The Mortal Immortal'].
- Hunter, J. Paul, ed. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. New York and London: W. W. Norton & Company, 1996.
- Ireland, Samuel William Henry. 'Miscellaneous Writers'. Scribbleomania; Or, The Printer's Devil's Polichronicon. A Sublime Poem. London: Sherwood, Neeley and Jones, 1815.
- The Keepsake for 1828, ed. Frederic Mansel Reynolds. London: Hurst, Chance, & Co., 1827.
- The Keepsake for 1829, ed. Frederic Mansel Reynolds. London: Hurst, Chance, & Co., 1828.
- The Keepsake for 1834, ed. Frederic Mansel Reynolds. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, .
- Knoepflmacher, U. C. "Thoughts on the Aggression of Daughters." The Endurance of Frankenstein: Essays on Mary Shelley's Novel . Ed. George Levine and U. C. Knoepflmacher. Berkeley, Los Angeles, and London: University of California Press, 1979. [Briefly discusses 'The Mortal Immortal' alongside Frankenstein].
- Lempriere, J[ohn]. Lempriere's Classical Dictionary. London: Bracken Books, 1984.
- Lockhart, J. G. Memoirs of the Life of Sir Walter Scott - A New Edition, Complete in One Volume. Edinburgh: Robert Cadell, 1842.
- Lyles, W. H. Mary Shelley: An Annotated Bibliography . New York: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1975. [Provides a list of publications and secondary works - slightly outdated].
- Moore, Thomas. Moore's Poetical Works. Complete in one volume. New York: D. Appleton & Co., 1857.
- O'Donohue, Nick. "Condemned to Life: 'The Mortal Immortal' and 'The Man Who Never Grew Young'." Death and the Serpent: Immortality in Science Fiction and Fantasy . Ed. Carl B. Yoke and Donald M. Hassler. Wesport, Connecticut and London, England: Greenwood Press, 1985. [Discusses Shelley's story alongside Fritz Leiber's 'The Man Who Never Grew Young'].
- de Palacio, Jean. Mary Shelley dans son oeuvre: Contributions aux etudes shelleyennes . Paris: Edition Klincksieck, 1969. [Discusses briefly 'The Mortal Immortal' with regards the theme of the Wandering Jew, and with references to the Gothic and Shelley's other stories].
- Phy, Allene Stuart. Mary Shelley. Starmont Reader's Guide 36. Mercer Island, USA: Starmont House, 1988. [Offers a brief reading of the story as a parody of Godwin's St. Leon].
- Rieger, James. The Mutiny Within: The Heresies of Percy Bysshe Shelley . New York: George Braziller, 1967. [Mentions briefly the humour of 'The Mortal Immortal'].
- Robinson, Charles E. (ed.) Mary Shelley: Collected Tales and Stories . Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1976. [The collection of Mary Shelley's tales and stories - Informative 'Note'].
- The Journals of Mary Shelley, 1814-144. Ed. Paula R. Feldman and Diana Scott-Kilvert. Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1995 . [Entry on Mary Shelley's daily occupation in July 1833].
- Smith, Johanna M. Mary Shelley . Twayne's English Authors Series. New York: Twayne Publishers, 1996. [Briefly discusses 'The Mortal Immortal' in her chapter 'Science Fiction: Short Stories, Frankenstein , and The Last Man'].
- Southey, Robert The Poetical Works of Robert Southey, Collected by Himself. Ten volumes in one. New York: D. Appleton & Co., 1839.
- The Spectator 66 (January 3, 1891) 18-19. [Review of Tales and Stories , ed. Richard Garnett - 'The Mortal Immortal' is specifically praised by the reviewer].
- Walling, William A. Mary Shelley . Twayne's English Authors Series. New York: Twayne Publishers, 1972. [Mentions 'The Mortal Immortal' in his discussion of the short stories, overall not too favourable].
Published @ RC