I list here works discussing 'The Mortal Immortal', as well as the ones I refer to in my notes. For a more general bibliography on Mary Shelley, see Steven Jones' bibliography for his electronic edition of The Last Man.
- Booth, Bradford Allen (ed.) A Cabinet of Gems: Short Stories from the English Annuals . Berkeley: University of California press, 1938. [The introduction discusses the readership of gift-books].
- Byron, Lord (George Gordon). The Complete Poetical Works. Ed. Jerome J. McGann. 7 vols. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1980-93.
- Garnett, Richard, ed. Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley: Tales and Stories. The Treasure House of Tales by Great Authors. London: William Paterson & Co., 1891. [Contains an introduction to Tales and Stories].
- Charles Gibbon, ed. The Casquet of Literature: being a Selection of Prose and Poetry from the Works of the Most Admired Authors, 4 vols. London: Blackie & Son, Limited, 1873. [Includes a biographical note before 'The Mortal Immortal'].
- Hofkosh, Sonia. "Disfiguring Economies: Mary Shelley's Short Stories." The Other Mary Shelley: Beyond Frankenstein . Ed. Audrey A. Fisch, Anne K. Mellor, and Esther H. Schor. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1993. [Discusses notions of class and beauty in Shelley's short stories - Comments upon the engraving of Bertha].
- Hopkins, Lisa. 'Memory at the End of History: Mary Shelley's The Last Man.' Romanticism On the Net 6 (1997): n. p. [Briefly discusses the notion of history in 'The Mortal Immortal'].
- Hunter, J. Paul, ed. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. New York and London: W. W. Norton & Company, 1996.
- Ireland, Samuel William Henry. 'Miscellaneous Writers'. Scribbleomania; Or, The Printer's Devil's Polichronicon. A Sublime Poem. London: Sherwood, Neeley and Jones, 1815.
- The Keepsake for 1828, ed. Frederic Mansel Reynolds. London: Hurst, Chance, & Co., 1827.
- The Keepsake for 1829, ed. Frederic Mansel Reynolds. London: Hurst, Chance, & Co., 1828.
- The Keepsake for 1834, ed. Frederic Mansel Reynolds. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, .
- Knoepflmacher, U. C. "Thoughts on the Aggression of Daughters." The Endurance of Frankenstein: Essays on Mary Shelley's Novel . Ed. George Levine and U. C. Knoepflmacher. Berkeley, Los Angeles, and London: University of California Press, 1979. [Briefly discusses 'The Mortal Immortal' alongside Frankenstein].
- Lempriere, J[ohn]. Lempriere's Classical Dictionary. London: Bracken Books, 1984.
- Lockhart, J. G. Memoirs of the Life of Sir Walter Scott - A New Edition, Complete in One Volume. Edinburgh: Robert Cadell, 1842.
- Lyles, W. H. Mary Shelley: An Annotated Bibliography . New York: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1975. [Provides a list of publications and secondary works - slightly outdated].
- Moore, Thomas. Moore's Poetical Works. Complete in one volume. New York: D. Appleton & Co., 1857.
- O'Donohue, Nick. "Condemned to Life: 'The Mortal Immortal' and 'The Man Who Never Grew Young'." Death and the Serpent: Immortality in Science Fiction and Fantasy . Ed. Carl B. Yoke and Donald M. Hassler. Wesport, Connecticut and London, England: Greenwood Press, 1985. [Discusses Shelley's story alongside Fritz Leiber's 'The Man Who Never Grew Young'].
- de Palacio, Jean. Mary Shelley dans son oeuvre: Contributions aux etudes shelleyennes . Paris: Edition Klincksieck, 1969. [Discusses briefly 'The Mortal Immortal' with regards the theme of the Wandering Jew, and with references to the Gothic and Shelley's other stories].
- Phy, Allene Stuart. Mary Shelley. Starmont Reader's Guide 36. Mercer Island, USA: Starmont House, 1988. [Offers a brief reading of the story as a parody of Godwin's St. Leon].
- Rieger, James. The Mutiny Within: The Heresies of Percy Bysshe Shelley . New York: George Braziller, 1967. [Mentions briefly the humour of 'The Mortal Immortal'].
- Robinson, Charles E. (ed.) Mary Shelley: Collected Tales and Stories . Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1976. [The collection of Mary Shelley's tales and stories - Informative 'Note'].
- The Journals of Mary Shelley, 1814-144. Ed. Paula R. Feldman and Diana Scott-Kilvert. Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1995 . [Entry on Mary Shelley's daily occupation in July 1833].
- Smith, Johanna M. Mary Shelley . Twayne's English Authors Series. New York: Twayne Publishers, 1996. [Briefly discusses 'The Mortal Immortal' in her chapter 'Science Fiction: Short Stories, Frankenstein , and The Last Man'].
- Southey, Robert The Poetical Works of Robert Southey, Collected by Himself. Ten volumes in one. New York: D. Appleton & Co., 1839.
- The Spectator 66 (January 3, 1891) 18-19. [Review of Tales and Stories , ed. Richard Garnett - 'The Mortal Immortal' is specifically praised by the reviewer].
- Walling, William A. Mary Shelley . Twayne's English Authors Series. New York: Twayne Publishers, 1972. [Mentions 'The Mortal Immortal' in his discussion of the short stories, overall not too favourable].
Published @ RC