As Frederic Colwell has noted, the Shelleys made numerous visits in the spring of 1819 to a neoclassical, "tetrastyle ionic" temple still standing on an island in a lake in the Borghese Gardens (pp. 128-31), a very fashionable spot at the time. The temple contains reliefs, rooftop statuary, and an inscribed pediment; it dates from the late eighteenth century. Claire Clairmont describes the temple in her journals and records reading Wordsworth there after rowing across to the island.
Romantic Circles / Electronic Editions / The Last Man / Note: temple