An estate close to the Welsh-English border, which centred on the ruins of an Augustinian priory. Southey visited in
October 1798 on his walking tour of South Wales with Charles Danvers. In 1807 Walter Savage Landor purchased it. He
attempted to create a model estate, planting trees, importing merino sheep and improving the roads. His visitors
included Southey. A series of disputes with his neighbours, including his tenant Charles Betham, whom Southey had
recommended to him, and mounting financial problems led Landor to depart for the continent in early 1814.