Shelley's The Last Man
1. Go to the online hypertext edition of the novel we are reading: http://www.rc.umd.edu/editions/mws/lastman/index.html
2. Go to the Table of Contents: http://www.rc.umd.edu/editions/mws/lastman/contents.htm
3. Browse around, looking at the maps,
and also listen to Haydn
4. Notice as you read through the novel any word that seems to express to you a key idea explored by Shelley and/or a word that is often repeated.
5. Go to the Table of Contents in the online edition: http://www.rc.umd.edu/editions/mws/lastman/contents.htm
6. Search for that word. Click on each link to a chapter that contains one or more instances of it. Each time you come to the chapter, click on "Edit" at the top left-hand side of your browser, then "Find." Type the word into the "find" blank. When you come to the word, highlight with your cursor the sentence in which it occurs, and then copy that sentence into a Word document. Introduce your quotation by explaining what's happening at that point in the novel. Then, after quoting the sentence, explain what the word means in that particular sentence. Repeat this process for each instance of your word.
7. Print out your word document and bring it to class.