British Romanticism: Email Discussion Questions
More information, a fuller description of the question, and helpful suggestions for thinking about it will be added a week before each assignment is due: click on the assignment title a week before the due date to get a fuller description of each assignment.
- Listserv Assignment #1, Due 19 September: What one or two ideas about government given in the readings for 19 Sept. impressed you as interesting or valuable, and why?
- Listserv Assignment #2, Due 26 September: List three of the ways, according to Mary Wollstonecraft, that women differ from men, telling us her explanation as to why they differ. Do you agree or disagree?
- Listserv Assignment #3, Due 3 October: Describe the effects that sentimental descriptions of the plight of slaves have on readers: how do they affect you? does this kind of art promote action or inaction? Why?
- Listserv Assignment #4, Due 17 October: What is Charlotte Smith's relation to those people who have emigrated from France, losing everything, or indeed what is her relation to any people who are dispossessed or downtrodden?
- Listserv Assignment #5, Due 24 October: ASSIGNMENT CANCELLED
- Listserv Assignment #6, Due 31 October: List two or three of the claims that Joanna Baillie makes about what good art looks like or how it works. Do you agree?
- Listserv Assignment #7, Due 7 November: According to Wordsworth's The Prelude, how does imagination work? How are imaginative writers connected to political events? Do you agree with Wordsworth?
- Listserv Assignment #8, Due 12 November: Pick out one or two of the poems you read for today's class: what do you like about it? dislike? find interesting?
- Listserv Assignment #9, Due 21 November: ASSIGNMENT CANCELLED
- Listserv Assignment #10, Due 5 December: In Mansfield Park, does Fanny have a home? Why or why not?